Several years ago I came across a very strange observation with a student that I was working with in school. It was a warm June summer and high school was about to break. The month of June is usually a month where everything is winding down.
During that month, one day, I decided to take my class outside for some sun, fun and recreation. The group of young men (Guys in their late teens) decided that they wanted to play a game of basketball. As they played the game and as time went on, they began to get hot and sweaty. As the game went on, I noticed that one student took his shirt off to cool himself down as he continued to play the game. I observed that this kid had a very noticeable case of gynocomostia or in simple terms “Bitch Tits.”
This kid was built like a bean pole, very skinny, which made his condition stand out more profoundly. In his mind (so I though) he did not think anything of his condition until a fellow classmate that was playing with him made mention of his “girly tits.” The student got upset and I intervened and explained to the kid that what he has is a case of gyno or bitch tits. The student was sad at the news that he had this condition, which is very rare in skinny people because their lack of body fat that does not feed into the high estrogen thing. Most men who suffer from this condition are usually fat. The high fat levels increase your chances of thwarting or lowering testosterone levels and increasing the estrogen levels. This is why we see many fat guys with man boobs. The kid with the gyno condition was a typical skinny kid who played basketball.
Estrogen: The Basics
Estrogen is a hormone that is produced primarily in the ovaries in women and in the testes in men. For men, it plays an important role in sperm production and bone maintenance. Estrogen is also produced by other tissues in both men and women, including fat and the brain.
The amount of estrogen needed by men to support these functions is very small, and men tend to have excess estrogen in their systems for two reasons. First, an enzyme called aromatase that is found in tissues throughout the body will turn testosterone into estrogen. Aromatase is found in body fat meaning that men with more fat will produce more aromatase and therefore have higher estrogen levels and lower testosterone. The good news is you can block aromatase by eating or supplementing with nutrients that do this naturally. There are also drugs that inhibit aromatase that are used to prevent breast and prostate cancer but I would only recommend this as a last resort.
The next day, the kid confided in me and began to open up to me about his gyno condition. He explained to me that he worked his chest out with hundreds of pushups daily hoping that this would cure his problem. He told me that he was really desperate for some help, which did not seem so to me due to the fact that he took his shirt off during the basketball game leaving him open for ridicule.
The student asked me what he should do. I will explain in full detail what I told this student so that those out there who suffer from this condition can take some action steps to help cure this problem.
First, I told the student that he has to go under the knife and take those two tumors out because that is what gyno is; two benign tumors. Benign meaning that they are not cancerous. Once he does that he must get a full blood test to see what his testosterone to estrogen ratios are because even though he made have the operation, gyno will come back if estrogen levels are still high like in the case with this student.
(Note: read – How to Increase Your Testosterone Levels)
Once he completes the first two tasks, he will next have to begin a weight training program working the big lifts fully, which are:
3) Bench presses
4) Shoulder military presses
These exercises have been shown, when worked hard, to stroke the testosterone furnace and increase test levels.
And he will need to include the following bodyweight exercises, which are:
Next, I explained to the student that he needs to eat food that will help him with increasing his test levels. His diet was basically a typical teenager’s diet, which consisted of heavily processed crap and a boat load of simple carbohydrates. I told him that he needs to eat about six whole eggs, and meat like steak along with complex card type foods like rye bread and oatmeal and also vegetables like broccoli and spinach. I told him that if he eats like this throughout the day and also drinks low carb whey protein drinks, that he will be using food to help him with increasing his test levels.
Improve Diet with Low Carb, High-Protein, Omega-3 Fats
A diet that is low in simple carbs and high in vegetable carb sources will help you detoxify estrogens and provide adequate fiber. To avoid excess estrogen, you need to manage insulin because it doing so is better for body composition, and persistently high insulin produces a poor endocrine profile that can inhibit estrogen detoxification.
Getting your carbs from vegetable and fruit sources will provide the lignans and fiber needed for gut health and increase antioxidant levels, which can abolish free radicals that produced by estrogen that goes down the C-16 pathway. Omega-3 fats, which are found in fish, have been shown to promote the C-2 pathway over the 16 pathway, particularly EPA omega-3 fatty acids. On the flip side, diets low in omega-3s have resulted in estrogen being metabolized primarily through the C-16 pathway. I’ve written a lot about omega-3s so I won’t go into detail here, but supplementation with a high concentration of EPA and DHA fish oil daily is recommended for estrogen metabolism.
A high protein diet will produce a better body composition for most people. Plus, low protein diets have been shown to decrease activity of something called cytochrome P450 that detoxifies estrogen. The amino acids lysine and threonine have been shown to support liver function and since estrogen is metabolized by the liver, it is thought that these proteins can help get rid of estrogen from the body. Lysine and threonine are found in meat, fish, beans, eggs, and some seeds (sesame, fenugreek). Sesame seeds also provide fiber and fenugreek helps lower the insulin response to carbs, making both good additions to your diet.
The supplement With Essential Nutrients that can help lower estrogen levels
To review, the essential nutrients to help detoxify estrogen are the B vitamins, zinc, omega-3 fish oils, DIM (nutrient found in cruciferous vegetables), green tea, magnesium, selenium, melatonin, and vitamin E, which is a potent antioxidant. These nutrients and supplements will also help in lowering high estrogen levels.
Here are some other things I included that I knew to be helpful for this student, they are as follows:
1) If you are a fat person, which this student was not, this made his situation all the more strange. You should get rid of the spare tire or the pot belly. Estrogen molecules practically live inside the fat cells and it’s a scientific fact that the more fat a man has, the more estrogen his bound to carry.
Another scientific fact is that the more fat the man carries, the lower his testosterone levels are.
Your successful male estrogen removal process should start from weight loss, or not necessarily even weight loss, but from the fat loss.
It doesn’t matter if you’re not that heavy, as it’s the fat that you need to get rid of, not the weight. So you could be “skinny fat” and still have the estrogen profile of a woman.
So start melting that fat away. The more you do it, the more your estrogen will decrease.
2) Eat some Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli. Cruciferous Vegetables like broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, maca, and so on are filled with some very favorable compounds to decrease your estrogen levels.
a) They’re rich in zinc which is a mineral known to boost testosterone. Zinc also stops the aromatase enzyme from doing its damage on your testosterone levels, so that your T doesn’t convert so easily to estrogen anymore.
b) They’re rich in a compound called Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C) which converts into 3, 3-Diindolylmethane (DIM) in your stomach. DIM is known best for its ability to regulate estrogen, which means that it effectively flushes out estrogenic compounds and xeno-estrogens from your body.
3) Avoid exposure to chemicals. In the world we live in today we’re constantly being bombarded with chemicals. They’re all around us, and it’s a cold hard fact that we can’t completely avoid them no matter how hard we try to.
Fortunately this doesn’t mean that we can’t do anything, as we still can avoid them as much as possible, and we also can avoid the worst kinds of them.
As a rule of thumb you should avoid all the possible chemicals you can, because almost all of them are known to disrupt our extremely sensitive endocrine system. Bunch of those chemicals are also straight on estrogen mimics in the body.
(Note this Interesting fact: The US database has over 50,000,000 chemicals listed in it, which makes it completely impossible to make sure that they’re safe to consume in any way, shape, or form.)
4) Avoid using plastic products. Many scientists believe that the increased usage of plastic bottles and heating our food in plastic Tupperware in microwave ovens and such is the leading cause of the feminine outlook of many young men today in this modern era. This is caused by the incredibly strong estrogenic effect that plastics have on the male body, as they’re filled with Phthalates, compounds that make all plastics flexible. Phthalates are known to mimic estrogen inside the male body, and that’s why it’s only a sign of weakness if you’re still after reading this post using plastic water bottles or eating those plastic micro-ready disasters.
The easiest way to get your body filled with pthtalates and xeno-estrogens is to drink a lot of soda. Here’s why:
When a plastic bottle is made it would take a full year for it to “cool down” so it wouldn’t leak those estrogen mimics into its contents anymore. However when those big soda companies manufacture thousands upon thousands of those bottles a day, do they really wait for a full year before filling them? The answer to that is no way. What a waste of money would that be right?
Instead those bottles are instantly filled with acidic soda that furthermore dissolves those fresh pthtalates into your “refreshing” beverage. Keep that in mind when you’re gulping down on that Coca-cola the next time.
5) Eat organic meats if you can. Most commercial foods found in your favorite grocery store are mostly crap. That’s the sad reality. They are over processed microwaveable nonsense with no real nutrients, and a huge list of unnecessary chemicals, endocrine disruptors, estrogen mimics, and low quality ingredients. There’s no real reason to eat these foods as there’s organic options available, which are free from those harmful estrogenic chemicals. Organics may cost a bit more, but they’ll pay themselves back in increased lifespan and a much healthier life, along with a much better hormonal profile.
6) Avoid soy at all costs. Soy is extremely powerful phyto-estrogen or plant-estrogen. Which means that it’s filled with estrogenic activity and it increases estrogen levels in the male body, and that’s not a good thing at all.
Even when you order Chinese food, they put soy sauce and soy bean oil on everything and that soy will have you feeling like total crap. Avoid soy protein and soy milk and everything soy. This will help you increase you test levels super-fast.
7) Start training heavy. Strength training with big ass weights is a great and in my opinion it’s one of the manliest forms of exercise you can do. The best part is that weight training has been shown in scientifically proven studies to: decrease male estrogen levels, increase male testosterone levels, and increase human growth hormone levels. That’s awesome. So stop making excuses and get yourself to a gym. Lift big weights with incredible intensity and your body will thank you in numerous ways.
To learn more along with how to get a blood panel of tests done read “How to Increase Your Testosterone Levels” in this website.
Go to: http://www.chadhowsefitness.com/blog/2012/02/how-to-lower-estrogen-levels-in-men/ to expand and learn more on this very important subject.
The student used the information I gave him with really great results. Now he can play his game proudly without being told that he should enter wet t-shirt contests.
Until next time,